Re: CVS dir in package source

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 09:48:46PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> Basile STARYNKEVITCH <basile@starynkevitch.net>(by way of Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>) writes:
>
> > Perhaps an alternative suggestion could be told to the upstram author:
> >
> > put in file foo.c
> >
> >    const char foo_ident[] = "$Id$";
> >
> > in file bar.c
> >
> >    const char bar_ident[] = "$Id$";
> >
> > in file header.h
> >
> > #define HEADER_IDENT "$Id$"
>
> Minor nitpick:
>
> You must use `$Id:$', or cvs will not expand it.  The `:' is needed.

Your assertion does not agree with my experience... I consistantly use $Id$
prior to initial checkin, and have never seen it to require the ':'. In
fact, the above is an exceedingly standard construct (though usually done
as an RCSID macro, with optional GCC attribute tagging as unused) in some
number of the projects I contribute source to.
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/