Re: what to do with binary conffiles ?

On Tuesday, July 30, 2002, at 11:14 AM, Eric Van Buggenhaut wrote:

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 03:33 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

I don't agree with you here. When you have games that use high scores
files, these are placed in /var as per FHS 5.4
(http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/fhs-5.4.html) and
obvioulsy tagged as conffiles (you don't want to lose your
high scores files when upgrading the game).

IANADD, but I didn't think packages shoulde be extracting anything straight in to /var other than setting up directories perhaps. And if your debian package doesn't blindly extract anything into /var then you don't need to worry about them being overwritten when your package is unpacked and you no longer need to mark them as conffiles.

> Why not just ship the files in /usr/lib or something and then in the
> postinst copy them to the place the package access them from if they
> aren't already there?

One drawback I see is that crafty-books-medium install a 30MB opening
book file, if we go copying it from /usr/lib to /var/lib, we're
wasting 30MB user's disk space, he might not like it.

I think copying the files /usr/lib into /var/lib is the way to go. Why don't you put a note in README.Debian that tells the user he can safely remove crafty-book-medium after it is installed the first time.

--
Paul Baker

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
         -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

GPG Key: http://homepage.mac.com/pauljbaker/public.asc