Packaging problem

I am working on packaging messagwall and have been having
a problem with some changes I have made to the package.

I am not sure how to determine why this is happening,
but on initial install the package will install and after of
starting the messagewall service it fails. On a second pass for
dpkg configuration it completes fine.

I need to find out how to determine what is passing the error
code to dpkg to make it think that it has failed. My configurations
from previous changes did not test for an already installed service
and now I am testing for this service and is now this is the
change that has started the failure.

If someone could look at the code for postinst and preinst and
let me know where I could be have failed I would appreciate it

packages are located at http://ns.linuxhardcore.com/debian/