Packaging assistance required

Hello,

I'm attempting to package some "stuff" (read on for details) and I'm after some
assistance. I've already read the contents of the maint-guide package, some of
the debian-policy package and a few other bits and pieces of documentation that
are floating around. I have successfully (arguably) built a package. I'd like
some assistance in making it better.

The package is for internal use at my work. I have no intention of releasing it
outside, it's only of any use at work. It's called "sandbox", it's a chrooted
SSH server we run on a different port and use for centralised log
rotation/removal/archiving. In a nutshell a cron job moves the logs into the
chroot jail and then a process on a central logging server SSHes into the jail
and removes them.

(Side note, I have a goal of becoming a package maintainer, so I'd like to do
this as "properly" as I can for future reference).

So in this case, I want the package to behave more like a glorified tar file in
that it unpacks stuff with appropriate permissions and owners. There is no
compiled source so to speak.

When I ran dh_make initially, I ran it with the --native option because from
reading the manpage that seeming like a Good Thing (tm) to do.

I then mucked about with the debian/rules file to put the appropriate stuff in
the debian/sandbox/DEBIAN directory and all the usual package building stuff
worked file.

My questions are:

1) Can filesystem permissions be set for the files in the .deb or are they
supposed to be set by the postinstall script?
2) Can I include device files (for the chroot environment) in the .deb or do
they need to be created by the postinstall script?
3) If I have to create additional files by the postinstall script how to let
dpkg know that they belong to package, or do I just have to add some rm's to the
prerm/postrm scripts?
4) I'll probably poke around and work this out, but, what does:

dh_shlibdeps
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find path for ld-linux.so.2
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find any packages for  (ld-linux.so.2)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for shared
library ld-linux (soname 2, path , dependency field Depends)

mean?

I think that's about it for the time being.

Thanks in advance for your help

Andrew