Re: needing to run configure multiple time

> The problem or rather in the configuration process which uses autoconf.
> It seems to me that I need to run ./configure twice, once with
> PYTHON=python2.1 and the other one with PYTHON=python2.2

How about this:

build/python2.1/config.status: configure
	install -d build/python2.1
	cd build/python2.1 && PYTHON=python2.1 ../../configure ...

build-python21: build/python2.1/config.status
	${MAKE}

This has the advantage that after a build, you'll have both binary
versions at hand. Useful for debugging. OTOH, it means more disc space.

Also, using config.status means that you don't reconfigure upon each
build if you didn't run a make clean. This might speed things up
considerably.

And not using build2.1-stamp and the like means that if you changed one
source file, it'll get rebuilt. If you use a stamp-file, it won't, and
the problem may go unnoticed. It means a dummy make run tho, which might
not be wise if even a dummy run takes long.

(I think it is a justifiable compromise in many cases)

Oh, and your approach should work too, even if it is not the best way to
accomplis the goal.

Cheers,
--
Gergely Nagy