Re: GConf schemas and debian/conffiles

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 05:27:12PM -0700, Devin Carraway wrote:
> If I don't do anything special, the package placing the schema file as
> /etc/gconf/acme.schemas will be flagged by lintian with
> file-in-etc-not-marked-as-conffile.  Looking at some other packages,
> gnome-gv doesn't put the file in debian/conffiles and yet its binary
> packages are linitian-clean.  The same goes for galeon, even though both
> are putting files in /etc.  How is that happening?

Without having looked, I'm guessing that they're both using DH_COMPAT=3,
which causes dh_installdeb from debhelper to automatically add anything
in /etc to conffiles.

The bottom line is that files in /etc must follow the description on
policy of how configuration files should behave. You can either do this
by including the file in /etc in the .deb and adding it to conffiles, or
by not including it in /etc in the .deb (perhaps /usr/share/<package>,
or autogenerated) and managing it in your maintainer scripts. Any file
that actually goes in /etc in a .deb will be blithely overwritten by
dpkg on each upgrade, which isn't allowed.

Cheers,