Depends: on package in contrib

Hello,

policy says that a package in main must not declare a releationship on a
package not in main.

I would like to split the snd package into a snd (arch-independent
files), snd-gtk and snd-dmotif, where snd-dmotif is in contrib. Is it
legal to declare a Depends: on snd-gtk|snd-dmotif in the snd package?
Since snd-gtk is in main, I don't see why this shouldn't be possible.

Or should I declare a Depends: on, say, snd-gui and let the
gui-packages declare a Provides: snd-gui?

I don't think I can change the Depends: to a Recommends:, because the
snd package also contains the menu entries - they'd have no effect
without snd or snd-dmotif installed.

regards, Stefan

PS: if somebody wants to have a look at the packages, they're at

http://www.shockfrosted.org/debian

Maybe there are other important things I've overseen.
--
Wanna listen to my music? <------
----> http://www.shockfrosted.org