Re: PGP -> GPG question

Hi Peter!

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 03:19:23PM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
[snip...]
>  - what do I do with gpg to see what the new key is really signed by my
>    old PGP key?  I would expect to see "D2A913A1" in that output, but I
>    don't:
>
>     $ gpg --list-sigs
>     /home/rhogee/.gnupg/pubring.gpg
>     -------------------------------
>     pub  1024D/A6CB024A 2002-05-13 Peter S. Galbraith <psg@debian.org>
>     sig        A6CB024A 2002-05-13  Peter S. Galbraith <psg@debian.org>
>     sub  1024g/92BCB61A 2002-05-13
>     sig        A6CB024A 2002-05-13  Peter S. Galbraith <psg@debian.org>

Actually, you signed your old PGP key with your new GPG key. That's why
you get nothing but your GPG selfsignature with --list-sigs. You have to
sign your new key with the PGP one.

>  - What output from gpg do I email keyring-maint@debian.org?
>    I presume 'gpg --export psg@debian.org' but that yields a binary
>    file.  Is that correct?

Use armored output (-a)

>  - I presume my PGP signature will continue to work as usual while I
>    wait for the GPG key to start working.  No one knows I'm changing
>    over to GPG, so I can't see it breaking.  Right?  (I keep reading
>    about the nightmare of getting new keys into the keyring).

You should use your old PGP key until the new one (which is signed with
your 'trusted' PGP key) get into the keyring. It shouldn't be a problem
at all IMHO (God knows when will your key get into the keyring :).

I hope it helps.

Cheers,

--
Luis Bustamante                            [luferbu@fluidsignal.com]