Re: Separate Build dirs

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 11:18:40PM -0300, Leo Costela wrote:

> I'm packing Ickle and it creates two packages, ickle and ickle-gnome that
> _can_ coexist and have diferent binary names for the gnome and non-gnome
> versions. I have to reconfigure to build the two diferent versions and the
> debian/rules I'm using now has a pretty ugly method of doing that,
> building it twice in the same dir.  I know there was a thread some time
> ago that dealt with this situation and the suggestion was to use two
> separate build dirs to compile independent trees, but how precisely do I
> do that, what's the cleanest way to do it in debian/rules?

If the package uses autoconf, and does a good job of it, you can do this by
running configure from a directory other than the top of the source tree.
For example:

build:
	mkdir build1 build2
	(cd build1 && ../configure && make)
	(cd build2 && ../configure --enable-foo && make)

clean:
	rm -rf build1 build2

This method may not work if the maintainer has not taken care to support
VPATH builds.  If this is the case, you should make the necessary
modifications and submit patches upstream.  See the autoconf documentation
for more information.

--
 - mdz