Unidentified subject!

Angshuman Dasgupta wrote:

Will someone tell me what this message is doing on
debian-mentors????
--- laurent mpeti kabila <mpeti_k01@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote: > REQUEST FOR URGENT BUSINESS ASSISTANCE
> --------------------------------------
<spam snipped>
Being spamcopped...I don't know how effective it is, but it makes me feel a little better...

The resulting output from submitting auto-generated reports looks like this.
<paste>
/dev/null'ing report for postmaster#thrunet.com@devnull.spamcop.net
Spam report id 77263590 sent to: postmaster@korea.com
Spam report id 77263596 sent to: spam@korea.com
Spam report id 77263602 sent to: abuse@thrunet.com
</paste>

This is out put from the latest one I received via the debian lists...

The odd thing about this one in particular is that it originally shows it being sent to debian-java (I am not a member of this list), then propagating to me from debian-jr (a list of which I am a member).

I used this address because I want to avoid address mining by spammers picking up my work email. That is also the reason why I didn't send a link showing the detailed analysis that was done to come up with those addresses to report to. All my header information is contained in it, and then some.

-chav

PS too bad we can't do a reverse look up on some of these guys and bill them. Could probably find a loophole in the telemarketing laws or something else that might marginally allow us to crawl whois and bill the offending party's ISP on a technicality. At least that would help prompt some of the questionable ones to actually do something about it.

I bet if we cut Qwest in on any possible recoveries, they'd all of a sudden be all about coughing up some addresses to bill. I guess greed does have a function, after all.

;-)