Re: changelog and /usr/share/doc/package as a symlink

On 27-Apr-2002 Oohara Yuuma wrote:
> Suppose that a source package makes two .deb, "package-data" and "package"
> (which depends on "package-data"), and /usr/share/doc/package is a symlink
> to /usr/share/doc/package-data .  Should "package" depend on exactly the
> same version of "package-data"?
>
> allows any version
> -> changelog may be out of date if only "package" is upgraded
>
> depneds on the same version
> -> forces the user to download huge "package-data" on each upgrade

and as always you must ask yourself -- why am I splitting this package?  Does
it make sense for the user to only install one of them?  Can they function out
version sync?  Since the user is likely to just be apt-get upgrading anyway,
what chance is there that a version skew will occur?

Don't just split without good reason.