Re: Multiple configure-make cycles

On 04/27/02 01:18:06 +0200 Josselin Mouette wrote:

Hi,

I am going to modify one of my packages so that two versions of the
software get built. Then I have to run the ./configure, make and make
install cycle twice.
However, the debian/rules file usually makes a difference between the
configure, build and install phases. What is the best way to deal with
it ? Is using 2 install targets depending on different build/configure
targets a good solution ?

Instead of building in the source dir, create 2 build directories, cd to each and ../configure with different options. Then in the make section, cd into each build dir and make. So essentially you are building the different versions in parallel, rather than repeating them in a serial fashion.

Even better than what I just said above is to make a source dir and 2 build dirs, like so:

<project_base>/source-tree
<project_base>/build1
<project_base>/build2
<project_base>/debian

That way the source files are nicely separated from the build files. Binutils organizes itself this way. It uses some unpacking/patching scripts that are modular and should be able to fit into any package. Or perhaps, any package should be able to made to fit the scripts. :-) I'm not sure where the scripts originated from, but I'm sure someone here will know...

-David