splitting xsoldier

I am planning to take over xsoldier by mutual agreement of the current
maintainer.  The new upstream release of xsolider have both of X version
and SDL version in the same source (using #ifdef).  Splitting xsoldier
into 3 packages seems the right thing:

xsoldier - X version of binary
xsoldier-sdl - SDL version of binary
xsoldier-data - pixmap files for xsoldier

I have 3 problems:
1) Is it OK just uploading the new source and .deb to split the package,
   or do I have to ITP xsoldier-sdl and xsoldier-data?

2) The current version of xsoldier puts its score file in /var/lib/games,
   which is wrong.  According to the FHS, it must be in /var/games/xsoldier.
   Since both of xsoldier and xsoldier-sdl are the same game, they should
   share the same score file.  I think xsoldier-data should handle it.
   How can I save the old score file?  Copying it in postinst of
   xsoldier-data won't work because it is in xsoldier, not xsoldier-data
   (if xsoldier is unpacked first, the old score file will be removed).

3) Do I have to save the old score file in any way?  The new version
   of xsoldier uses the same format for the score file, but the score is
   inflated, so anyone can beat the old high score easily.  I don't think
   the score file is compatible in a gamer's view.

--
Oohara Yuuma <oohara@libra.interq.or.jp>
Debian developer

I always put away what I take.