Re: Sponsors and advocates?

On Fri, 05 Apr 2002, Martin Sj?gren <md9ms@mdstud.chalmers.se> wrote...

: I'm confused. Which is what? Do I need both an advocate and a sponsor, or
: are they usually the same person? In which order does things happen? I
: have someone who volunteered to sponsor me, should I ask him to be my
: advocate as well?

The `advocate' and the `sponsor' are different roles.

The `advocate' is somebody who is already a developer, who is willing to
say that you would make a suitable developer.

The `sponsor' is somebody who is willing to verify that a particular
package you have made is good, and upload it for you.

Fairly often, these can be the same people.

: I have built packages and lintian doesn't complain about
: them, what should my next step be?

Talk to your sponsor, get them to check the packages. If all is well, and
it is a new package, file an ITP. Your sponsor should know the exact
procedure.