Re: ${shlibs:Depends} - What is it?

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 04:01:49PM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> dpkg-deb: parse error, in file `debian/tutos/DEBIAN/control' near line 7 package `tutos':
>  `Depends' field, missing package name, or garbage where package name expected
> dh_builddeb: command returned error code
> make: *** [binary-indep] Error 1
>
> I have the following information in my Depends:
>
> Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, apache | apache-ssl | httpd, php4, php4-pgsql | php\4-mysql, php4-pgsql | mysql-client, postgresql-client | php4-mysql, postgresql-\client | mysql-client

If you're using dpkg-dev 1.9.0 or above in unstable, dpkg-gencontrol
will remove the trailing comma when it substitutes something empty for
${shlibs:Depends}. The dpkg-dev in stable didn't do this.

As you rightly point out, removing ${shlibs:Depends} is a reasonable
fix. It doesn't sound like you have any shared library dependencies to
be substituted there - programs not written in C/C++ generally don't -
so it's also more correct to remove it in your case.