Re: taking dependencies

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 11:46:15AM +0100, Benjamin Drieu wrote:
> pp <pp@infoglob.com> writes:
>
> > Is there any (I do not say easy) way
> > to automagically take dependencies from configure
> > script and place it in control files?
>
> I'm not aware of any automagic way to catch source dependencies,
> although shared libraries dependencies can semi-automatically be found
> (i.e. with dh_shlibdeps).

You could use a trick similar of what is done with fakeroot (or even patch
fakeroot if you use that to build your packages) to simply log to an external
file every read access you do. Later you only need to go trough this list of
files, have dpkg -S run on them to check to which package they belong, and
then sort them a little, eliminate duplicates, eliminate files belonging to
build essentials, and you will obtain automatic build dependencies.

An additional information given by this would be a list of files not
pertaining to any package that are used by the build, if such things happen.

It would not provide versionned build dependencies though, and manual
intervention would still be needed for the arch dependent build dependencies
also.

Friendly,

Sven Luther