Fwd: Re: How can I help ?

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 04:33:36PM +0100, svallet wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I'd really like giving some time to the Debian project, but I don't really
> know what to do. I have yet very few working knowledge of C/C++ (I am _not_
> a c/s student, although I enjoy "coding") , so I'm a little bit scared
> about sending patches or something like that. Besides, I'm quite new to Linux.
> I have some skills, though, in webdevelopement (PHP and friends (jsp etc.),
> of course HTML/CSS), in other OO languages (Java mainly), I know a little
> bit of scripting (Perl/Python), I could help for translations - in French
> or German, and last but not least I'm quite ready to learn.
> Where should I ask for needs in this categories ?

There are many, many bugs that need fixing. Here is a link for bugs
which are holding up release of woody:

master.debian.org/~wakkerma/bugs

Much of debian, per se, is scripting. So you'll be surprised how often
you can do 'less /bin/your-favorite-program' and find out it's really
just a shell script. Meaning, you don't have to be a C expert to find
and fix bugs.

To retrieve the source of any package, apt-get source packagename

To see the bugs for any package, bugs.debian.org/packagename . A
particular bugnumber is at bugs.debian.org/bugnumber .

There is some guidance for translators at

www.debian.org/devel/website/translating

in case you hadn't found it already. Also,

www.debian.org/international/

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |