Re: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 07:01:09PM +0100, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
> David Z Maze <dmaze@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@linpro.no> writes:
> > > This is a bug in lintian.  It should not complain about rpath being
> > > set to directories which are part of Debian.
> >
> > Yes, it should.  In this case, imagine GNU libc 3 comes out, Debian
> > decides to migrate to it, and libraries linked against glibc 2 are
> > moved to /usr/i386-glibc2-linux/lib or what not.
>
> Aha, I didn't realize there was that kind of black magic in ld.so
> (documented in ldconfig).  Well, then I'd venture that ld.so is
> imperfect.  If it knows to ignore certain paths in ld.so.conf, it
> should have sufficient information to ignore those paths when they
> appear as rpath.  However, I sincerely hope there will be no more
> major changes in libc, making this feature needless to implement!
> (If the need arises, ld.so with such a patch can be distributed ahead
> of time.)
>
> To explain my outburst: Proper use of rpath is a hobby horse of mine,
> as I've spent a lot of time with Solaris, trying to get applications
> and libraries coming from Linux to set it properly.  An unpriveleged
> user can not install large suites of software like GNOME or KDE
> without rpath, be it on Linux or Solaris.  libtool has eventually made
> this mostly work.  The messages implied that libtool was broken to add
> rpath, and needed fixing.  I vehemently oppose that.  Patching libtool
> in debian/rules is fine with me, though :-)

Although the latter is a horrible kludge that is going to
break when the internals of libtool change.

Is it not possible for libtool to accept a switch that means "this
library is going to be installed in a system path and I don't want
-rpath set" ?  Maybe libtool already has such a switch or will
in a future version?  Comments from the libtool maintainer ?

-S

--
by Rocket to the Moon,
by Airplane to the Rocket,