Re: Purging a replaced program

On 27 Jan 2002, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:

> Actually I have come to the conclusion that you're probably
> encountering a dpkg bug. If I install package N over package O and N
> replaces some files of O, these files should be removed from O's list
> of files. That should be true even for conffiles and when O is in the
> 'conffiles' state (removed-not-purged).
>
> Could you check what /var/lib/dpkg/info/webmin.{list,conffiles}
> contains after webmin-ssl has been installed over webmin? Neither
> files should have one of the replaced files in them.

Here is what I get after installing webmin, then webmin-ssl  (Both
provide, conflict, and replace each other.):

$ dpkg -l | grep webmin
ic  webmin         0.92-1         Web-based administration toolkit
ii  webmin-core    0.92-1         core modules for webmin
ii  webmin-ssl     0.92-2         Web-based administration toolkit

/var/lib/dpkg/info/webmin.list exists but it is 0 length.
/var/lib/dpkg/info/webmin.conffiles does not exist.

Ahh but this is interesting, /var/lib/dpkg/info/webmin.postrm still
exists.  Why is that?  It would certainly explain why purging webmin blew
away webmin-ssl's conffiles.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>