Re: Purging a replaced program

"Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar@debian.org> writes:

> > Third, and probably cleanest, is the option to simply stop shipping
> > different config files (they are different, are they?) under the same
> > name. /etc/webmin-ssl/* and /etc/init.d/webmin-ssl should work fine.
> >

> I don't want to do either of these because hopefully the webmin-ssl
> package will go away once the crypto in main thing is sorted out.

Understandable.

Actually I have come to the conclusion that you're probably
encountering a dpkg bug. If I install package N over package O and N
replaces some files of O, these files should be removed from O's list
of files. That should be true even for conffiles and when O is in the
'conffiles' state (removed-not-purged).

Could you check what /var/lib/dpkg/info/webmin.{list,conffiles}
contains after webmin-ssl has been installed over webmin? Neither
files should have one of the replaced files in them.

--
Robbe