Purging a replaced program

I'm having a problem with something I thought was wery simple.

I have two packages, webmin and webmin-ssl which are interchangeable
(except as you've probably guessed one has SSL support, the other
doesn't).  They both install certain conffiles such as
/etc/webmin/miniserv.conf and /etc/init.d/webmin.  In their
control files, they provide, conflict and replace each other.

It seems to work well for the most part except if a user installs say,
webmin followed by webmin-ssl and then tries to purge webmin, the
conffiles for webmin-ssl get blown away!  How can I allow the old,
replaced package to be purged safely?

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>