QUestions about packaging debian .debs

Hello All,

I am not a Debian Package Maintainer (as of yet).  And this is probably
not the right mailing list for these questions.  If not, please let me
know so I can move the discussion to the right place.

I have written some software that I am going to package up as .debs for
distrubution.  Before I even start applying for debian maintership I
want to make sure that I am making the debs correctly.

First question (of many to come):  using dpkg-buidpackage, I use the
option -k<gpg key id> and sign the package successfully (I think).  How
on earth do I check to see if the .deb is signed and correctly signed?
During the process of the build, it asks me for my secret key/code and
it says it was successful but I do not see my (gpg) signature anywhere.

Second question:  I am making a .deb that is for any platform (it is a
perl script/config files.  But when I do the dpkg-buidpackage it makes
the deb blahblahblah_i386.deb although in the config files I have stated
that is for any platform.  What am I doing wrong?

That is it for now, more to come soon.

Thanks,
Scott

--