Re: php and locales

Hi,

At Fri, 11 Jan 2002 19:57:04 +0200,
Andres Soolo wrote:

> > 2 isn't quite right.  There is at least one English word that have ë
> > in it (an umlat-e?).  But because i'm not native English, I don't
> > remember what that word is.  ;-)
> There are 'na?ve' and '?sthetical'.
> In recent decades, however, they seem to be reduced into 'naive'
> and 'aesthetical', probably mostly due to the 7-bit ASCII ...

Even in such cases, "gettext source" must use ASCII.  If one wants
to use non-ASCII character, (s)he must prepare en.po file for that.

Otherwise, (1) multibyte encoding speakers (east Asian) feel
difficulty to edit their .po files and (2) people other than
ISO-8859-1 (and ISO-8859-2, ISO-8859-15, and so on in most cases)
cannot read it in the way the writer intended because users read
different character (for example, Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew, Arab,
Thai, Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana, Hangul, and so on depending on
the users' environments) instead of the writer's intended character.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/