Re: php and locales

Gaetano Paolone <bigpaul@debian.org> writes:

> 1) has the original gettext source code to be written in english?

No. But gettext(MESSAGE) returns the original MESSSAGE if no
translation could be found (for example because I have selected "sv"
as language, and there is no Swedish catalog yet). An English message
is more useful to most people in this case than an Italian one.

If you provide an English catalog, people could still get at it by
setting the locale to "en" explicitly -- but that's a nuisance.

>    Has the upstream author the need to change all the code in english
>    or would it be a "good suggestion"?

A /very/ good suggestion.

> 2) I know that it should be automatic, but would it be
>    stupid to put a php code to ask for the user's language
>    and then export the relative LC_ALL? (with the setenv
>    php command)

It's never wrong to allow users to override settings. It should work
out of the box for people who did set everything correctly.

> 3) I have in /etc/enviroment "LANG=it_IT", all my consoles are
>    "localized" and everything seems to work quite well. The question
>    is: Why PHP tells me that the LANG variable is "C" instead of
>    "it_IT"?

Isn't php usually run in the context of the web server, i.e. is this
the dynamic part of a web site? In this case, /etc/environment is
probably not used, nor should it be. You could either set the language
explicitly in some config-file, or (that's probably what you want)
evaluate the "Accept-Language" sent by the user's browser.

--
Robbe