Re: Packaging A+

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 10:28:21PM -0500, Neil L. Roeth wrote:

> I ITP A+, a programming language and development environment
> (http://aplusdev.org).  It will be called aplus-fsf.  I have not packaged
> anything before and I have some questions.  The new maintainer's guide was
> helpful but did not cover these areas.

I don't see an ITP at

http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/being_packaged

for A+, so that probably means that you didn't actually file an ITP.  If you
intend for this package to end up in the Debian archives, you should do so.
See http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/ for instructions.

> 1) The upstream sources put files in non-standard directories.  I am moving
> them to standard locations, e.g., docs to /usr/share/doc/aplus-fsf.  I did
> this by adding to the debian/rules install target code like the following:
> INSTDIR = $(CURDIR)/debian/aplus-fsf/usr
> mv $(INSTDIR)/doc/* $(INSTDIR)/share/doc/aplus-fsf/
> rmdir $(INSTDIR)/doc
>
> I've successfully created a .deb file and see that it has the right paths, so
> what I've done works, but may not be optimal.  Is there a better way to do
> this?

The optimal thing to do is to fix the upstream makefile (or whatever) and
send your patch upstream to be included in the next release.  What you did
is the next best way.

> 2) A bunch of shared libraries are created.  dh_shlibdeps gives an error like
> this for each one:
>
> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find any packages for
> /home/aplus/src/aplus-fsf-4.18/debian/aplus-fsf/usr/lib/libIPC.so.0
> (libIPC.so.0)
>
> What does that mean?  What packages is it looking for?

That means that a binary in your package is linked against libIPC.so.0, but
it couldn't find a shlibs file for it.

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html

--
 - mdz