Re: Library with "demos", where should demos go?

Hugo van der Merwe <hugo@adept.co.za> writes:

> I'm packaging a library which contains a bunch of demos - both the
> binaries and the source code gets installed by the library's build
> system...
>
> Would this be a decent approach:
>
> Installing all the demo binaries in /usr/bin/
> Installing demo source in /usr/share/doc/package_name/
>
> Comments/Suggestions?
>
> This would mean I must write a man page for each little demo... ;)

Unless the demos are useful for something other than a demonstration, I
would not install them in /usr/bin.  Instead, I would put them in
/usr/share/doc/package_name/examples/.  I'd also put the demo source in
there.

The Qt3 source package also comes with a bunch of demos, and the
maintainer tars them up and puts them in /usr/share/doc/qt3-doc/.  I
don't find this solution ideal, however.

--
Curse my natural showmanship!