source name change

Hi mentors,
  I have to change the a package source name because it was changed
upstream and the old one is no longer pertinent.

The new package will provide some binary packages that were provided by
the provious one and some additional binary packages.
Which is the good(TM) procedure to perform such a changes?

Should I ask for the removal of the old one and the upload the new one?
or should I better mail directly the ftp maintainers explaining the
situation so that they can perform the change in a single run?

TIA,
Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli  -  Undergraduate Student of CS @ Uni. Bologna, Italy