Re: signing a GPG key with multiple uids

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 10:04:21AM -0800, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > >
> > > I sign a uid when these uid's address is not bouncing and the person who
> > > claims to belong to this key answers a message encrypted to him sent
> > > to the specific uid. If the person answers to all the mails sent to
> > > him, I can sign all uid's.
> >
> > This sounds like good practice but burden of proof for the "activeness"
> > of e-mail account is on signer side.  A bit unfiar, IMHO.
>
> this is as it should be. a signer needs to take Due Diligence when
> saying ``Yes. I know that this key matches this Name and EMail address.''
> failure to do that renders that signature, and potentially all other
> signatures made by that signer. the whole Web-of-Trust thing.
>
> some people do take more care than others when signing, and that is
> okay. but the onus is always on the signer to verify that the facts as
> she understands them are true.

Sure I agree in your point of due dilligence.  (I said "a bit".)

I do not want to make life any harder for the people signing my GPG key
either.

I think question was not well formed and discussion is drifting away.  I
started different thread to address my real question.

Thanks.

Osamu
        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract