Re: library packages missing libraries

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 07:45:41PM +0100, Fabrizio Lippolis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to build a package for a library, both static and shared.
> The library gets built with configure, make and make install which I
> have seen are contained in the rules file. When I issue the command
> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot everything seems to work fine and the deb
> files are built. The problem is that with dpkg-deb -c I can't see the
> .so and .a files in the packages. I have remarked that everything is
> built and copied into the debian/tmp directory but it seems nothing puts
> them in the deb files. Anybody could please suggest me what am I doing
> wrong? Thanks in advance.

Well, the most likely problem is the make install tries to install the
stuff in the final place (/usr/lib or something such), and not in the
debian/tmp directory (or even better the debian/package_name directory).

The first thing to do is to save the log :

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot &>../log &
tail -f ../log

And then examine said log to see where the makefile installs stuff.

Then, you check your debian/rules for the installation target :

$(MAKE) install PREFIX=$(CURDIR)/debian/package_name

or something such.

Then, check the upstream makefile, if it supports the PREFIX thingy or
not, and modify it so it works as you want.

This would be a first step, if this don't work, we can search further.

Friendly,

Sven Luther