Re: dh_installinit and dpkg-reconfigure

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 12:00:03 -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

> Martin Godisch wrote:
>
> > Since debconf 1.2.9 dpkg-reconfigure calls prerm, which does invoke-rc.d
> > stop, so I think this would be the correct runtime dependency when
> > dpkg-reconfigure has to stop a daemon before it can be (re)started in
> > postinst...
>
> I don't see what you mean, and this seems to have nothing to do with
> your other, very strange suggestion that any package that uses
> dh_installinit needs to depend on debconf. Show me something breaking
> because of a missing dependency.

Of course a package doesn't need to depend on debconf because it uses
dh_installinit. I wanted to say: if a package (already) depends on debconf
and uses dh_installinit, then it may depend on debconf (>= 1.2.9), such
that dpkg-reconfigure stops a daemon in prerm before starting it in
postinst.

If you have an init script starting with '#!/bin/sh -e' and do
dpkg-reconfigure (< 1.2.9) while the daemon is running, then it will not
be stopped and hence start-stop-daemon, init script, invoke-rc.d,
postinst, dpkg-reconfigure will all fail.

Kind regards,

Martin