Re: Advice about cfengine2 package

bob@proulx.com (Bob Proulx) writes:

> May I voice an opinion against a gratuitous message saying that the
> behavior has changed but without real useful value?  Those darn
> "click-throughs" are a large part of the complaints against debian
> packages during an install.  May I suggest that if at all possible
> avoid needing user input during the installation.
>
> Especially for a program such as cfengine which gains usefulness on
> larger sites with many hosts.  Trying to install something with a
> "press enter to continue" on a thousand hosts such as a large cfengine
> user might need to do would be extremely tedious.  If at all possible
> please allow the package to be installed non-interactively.

In such an installation I'd set the debconf level to critical, or use
the non-interactive frontend. No stress.

That said, I think that Andrew should simply ship an init file which
defaults to starting nothing (easily changed via
/etc/default/cfgengine2). Since you're only adding optional features,
not changing defaults, a debconf note is overkill.

Making this file configurable via low or medium debconf questions
("cfgengine now can start ... automatically at boot, do you want to do
that?") would also be fine. Note that it can *not* be a conffile,
then.

--
Robbe