Re: Advice about cfengine2 package

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 03:49:27PM +0000, Andrew Stribblehill wrote:
> A package I maintain, cfengine2, contains three daemons, any or all
> of which are useful for some people. It also has cfagent, the program
> that actually does the configuration stuff it's asked to do.
>
> At present, none of these daemons are started -- the package has no
> init script, so it's up to the user to write one, should he require
> this.
>
> I have been asked to provide an init script in a bug report. This has
> the problem for me that should I fit one to the package, its default
> behaviour would change.
>
> I can see a number of ways out of it, but have no clear idea which is
> best:
>
> * Split the package into its component parts, such that each daemon
>   is in a separate package. Have an init script for each. The admin
>   chooses which daemons run by adding and removing packages.
>
> * Put a debconf message into the package warning that the behaviour
>   has changed. Write one init script. Allow the user to configure
>   which daemons start at boot-time by editing /etc/default/cfengine2
>   which contains RUN_CFEXECD=0; RUN_CFENVD=1; ...
>
> * As above, but manage /etc/default/cfengine2 by debconf. If I do
>   this, must this file not be a conffile?
>
> * Write three init scripts and keep them in the same single package.
>   Has this got a precedent?

Why not write an init script that starts all three daemons, and
make it each one optional in /etc/default/cfengine2? As an add-on, make
that file configurable with debconf.

I think this is the most obvious and cleanest solution.

Splitting the package into three just for having three init scripts
seems to be overkill. Unless of course there are good other
reasons to split.

Greetings,
Oliver
--
Oh my, the stars!
       me, first time I stared at the night sky with my new contact lenses