Re: debconf template not included in package ???

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 10:39:03AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> > I created a templates file, put it in the debian directory, created a
> > config file and a postinst file, like was adviced.
> >
> > Now, the package builds fine, i tried running the postinst by hand, and
> > it asked me the question in the template. When i installed the built
> > package, it did not ask me the question, since it had already. Not
> > thinking much (it was late at night), i uploaded the package to
> > unstable.
> >
> > Now, when others try installing the packages, it fails in pre-configure,
> > since there is no mention of the debconf template file in the package,
> > and no mention of my debconf question in
> > /var/cache/debconf/templates.dat.
> >
> > I am a bit at a loss here, how do you make debconf understand it should
> > add the debconf template in the distributed package ?
>
> Put the templates file in debian/<package>.templates. dh_installdebconf
> will install it from there into debian/<package>/DEBIAN.

Ok, thanks.

Maybe this should be more proeminently said in
/usr/share/doc/debconf-doc/tutorial.txt.gz, no, there is only a quick
mention about installing in debian/tmp/DEBIAN/, which i missed, and the
fact that the newline cut this path in two did not help. Also maybe the
note about debhelper should be expanded a bit, there is no mention of
dh_installdebconf at all, and it was commented out in my debian/rules
(maybe even by default in debhelper ?).

Friendly,

Sven Luther