Re: HELP!!! New Maint App Process

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 01:52:43PM -0400, Deva Seetharam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i am interested in becoming a new maintainer. i understand that i need an
> advocate to recommend my application. unfortunately i dont know any of the
> existing developers to be my advocate. so i posted a message on mentors
> and newmaint mailing lists requesting someone to be my advocate. i havent
> got any response.
>
> i am a little dazed and hvae the following questions:
> 0. can one apply to be a newmaintainer without an advocate?

Yes. You can apply, but your application will not be processed until
you get an advocate.

> 1. how does one get an advocate?

The best way is to package a piece of software, and make the packages
available somewhere. Apply to be a NM, and post a message to
debian-mentors@lists.debian.org asking for a sponsor. A sponsor will
take a look at your package and (assuming all goes well) upload them.
If they are sufficiently impressed, they will likely be your advocate.

> 2. how long does the application process take?

You can see the average times from nm.debian.org. There's currently a
long wait after you have completed the criteria before you are
accepted. (This may be a few months.) The majority of the application
can be done within a few weeks.

> 3. what are the criteria for selection? (shockingly, i see Richard
>    Stallman on hold)

See http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint. Basically, you need to
have your ID confirmed, discuss (and agree to) Debian policies and
procedures, and demonstrate competence in packaging software and doing
other developer tasks.

Many people are on hold due to lack of time to complete the application.

--
Duncan Findlay