Re: Build-Depends/Depends wierdness

This one time, at band camp, Michel Dänzer said:
> On Don, 2002-10-03 at 20:09, Stephen Gran wrote:
> >
> > In my control file, I just use ${shlibs:Depends} in the Depends: field.
> > After building (in a Woody chroot, thanks to pbuilder - great tool!) I
> > get a Depends: that looks like this:
> >
> > Depends: kdelibs3 (>= 4:2.2.2-1), libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), libfam0,
> > libjpeg62, libpng2(>=1.0.12), libqt2 (>= 3:2.3.1-1),
> > libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 (>= 1:2.95.4-0.010810), xlibs (>> 4.1.0), zlib1g
> > (>= 1:1.1.4)
> >
> > But:
> > steve@gashuffer:~$ for i in `ldd /usr/bin/kcdlabel | cut -f3 -d\ ` ; do
> > dpkg -S $i ; done | sort | cut -f1 -d':' | uniq
> > kdelibs3
> > libc6
> > libfam0
> > libfreetype6
> > libjpeg62
> > liblcms
> > libmng1
> > libpng2
> > libqt2
> > libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2
> > xlibs
> > zlib1g
> >
> > There's 3 more library packages that aren't found by dpkg-shlibdeps.  Am
> > I misinterpreting here, and I should in fact put these missing packages
> > in manually, or am I somehow building poorly, and that is causing the
> > discrepancy in the output?
>
> I think ldd also shows indirectly linked libraries, i.e. those linked to
> libraries the app links to. Those don't generate a dependency, and
> neither should they. If the app uses one of those directly, it should
> link to it directly as well, then it will generate a dependency.
>
> Now I hope this explains something and doesn't confuse. :)

No, that was actually quite helpful.  I am chasing this around because
someone who wrote me offlist suggested that it actually depended on more
libraries than I had listed.  I checked with objdump, and it agrees with
the generated field (as I expected - that's what dpkg-shlibdeps uses,
right?).  I cannot seem to set up an environment without the missing
libraries, as that would remove tons of other kde stuff, and prevent me
from running the program (in addition to hosing many of my users'
desktops), so I'm going to believe objdump over ldd at this point.

Now, is anyone interested in sponsoring it? 8^)

You can take a look at http://www.lobefin.net/~steve/debian/

Thanks all who responded,
Steve

--
Sweet April showers do spring May flowers.
		-- Thomas Tusser