Re: packages which can be arch: all and arch: any ...

Hi,

Stefano Zacchiroli:
> On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 09:12:52AM +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> > I'd split the packages in three:
> > - ocaml (arch-independent, common stuff)
> > - ocaml-bytecode (ditto, bytecode interpreter)
> > - ocaml-native (arch-dependent, compiles to native code)
>
> You miss the point: the ocaml package is already split properly, the
> question arise for application builts with ocaml compilers.

Oh. *scratches head, re-reads initial email*
I did not see that, given this email. Sorry.

Anyway, the same three-way split technique can be used for any package
using ocaml => take my email and s/ocaml/your-package/g.

As for the user's choice ... I did miss the reference to apt-get in the
original email, as I was mistakenly of the opinion that it would, like
dselect, actually ask which dependent package to install if there's a
choice. At the moment the manpage says that apt-get randomly selects a
package which fulfills a virtual dependency. (That probably means "it uses
the first one it sees in the package list". :-/ )  That shold be fixed; as
.deb control files currently don't have a priority field, the first step
would probably be to file a bug report^W^W feature request asking for its
addition. Or do it yourself and submit a patch...

--
Matthias Urlichs     |     noris network AG     |     http://smurf.noris.de/