Re: menu icon format

Hi

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 05:57:34PM -0400, Mike Furr wrote:
> One of my packages just changed its icon from an xpm to png.  I was all
> for it until I saw lintian complain:
> W: terminatorx: menu-icon-not-in-xpm-format
> /usr/share/pixmaps/terminatorX-app.png
>
> Do we ship wm's that can't handle pngs, but do handle our menu system?
> The menu sub-policy doesn't mention anything about formats...  I'd
> rather not put a build-depend on imagemagick just for this...

The odd thing about these menu icons is the following: lintian
complains about shipping a not-xpm icon and the Gnome panel
cannot handle xpm.

I built a package of me with the shipped png icon and it appear
in the menu in the Gnome panel. When I fixed the lintian warning
and converted the icon to xpm, the panel did no longer display
the icon.

Another odd thing: feh and ImageMagick (display) correctly
display the xpm picture (which was created from the png using
convert). xv does not display the picture and gimp 1.2.3 just
displays the conturs of the icon.

Any hints?

Regards
--