script as a configuration file

Hello,

   I was seeking for some opinions... I'm working now on a
package that relies on a script that may be modified by the system
administrator, and I'm wondering about:

  - how to manage upgrades (overwrites & co.)
  - where to put it

  This script works well with a default debian installtion but
should really be modified on any other system. It would be called by
an authentication module run by courier pop3/imap server, and
it would perform administrative tasks. postinst and co. wouldn't
touch this script (an administrator should manually modify it).
  The most logical place to me to put this script was /usr/sbin,
and to let dpkg manage it as a conffile. However, this is quite
against the debian policy. There are many good solutions,
and I'd like to know what you would do...

Cheers, Carlo

--
  GPG Fingerprint: 2383 7B14 4D08 53A4 2C1A CA29 9E98 5431 1A68 6975