Re: Python scrips and deps

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 12:38:08PM +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> I am the maintainer for doclifter, a Python 2.2 script. Upstream (RMS)
> claims that it requires Python 2.2, so the script calls "/usr/bin/env
> python2.2" and the package Requires: python2.2.
>
> However, lintian now moans as "python2.2" isn't a valid Python
> interpreter. I'd say this is a bug (and I intend to report it in a
> minute) but this does bring up an interesting issue.
You should not use the env trick. Use #!/usr/bin/python2.2 for python2.2
scripts and #!/usr/bin/python for python scripts.

> The default Python release in Debian Sid (and testing?) is now 2.2, so
> should I change the package to call "python" and change the requirements
> to Depends: python?
It is always good to support the default python version. You must have
Depends: python (>=2.2), python (<<2.3)

You can also join the debian-python mailing list if you need more
sophisticated answers :)

Hope this helps,
Bastian
--