Re: Kerberos support for Cyrus: I need help

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 09:45:17AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> I have been asked to add kerberos support to Cyrus IMAPd.  So far so good.
> Part of it is already there anyway, as long as Kerberos modules for SASL2
> are installed in the system.

> Now, I have to choose wether to use Heimdal or MIT Kerberos 5.  And not
> being familiar with Kerberos, I don't know what to make of Kerberos 4
> either.

Make cutout paper dolls of it.  Kerberos 4 is dead technology that should
not be encouraged.

> Is there anyone around who would like to help with these questions, and with
> configure.in support to link the proper objects?  Upstream supports MIT and
> Heimdal, but their stuff won't work with Debian heimdall out-of-the-box, for
> example (due to libdes).

Sam Hartman runs a list for Kerberos discussions at
<debian-kerberos@mekinok.com>.  You may want to pose the question there.
It seems to me that if it does work out of the box with MIT and not with
Heimdal, you ought to build it for MIT (at least for now).  Though I'm
curious, why does it need anything other than the SASL module in order to
support Kerberos?

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer