Re: dealing with dead projects

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, Sam Powers wrote:

> I've got a package, xmms-liveice, which is very, very unstable. The
> upstream author has moved on to other projects, and doesn't seem
> particularly interested in making the code work better.

Beat him over the head with some of ESR's writings, specifically the part
which states that the final responsibility of a free software author is to
find an appropriate successor when your own interest has died.  <grin>

> It's an xmms plugin, written in C. I don't know C, so I can't fix the bugs
> myself. How should I go about finding an interested party to get this code
> stabalized?

Not a lot of hope.  Unless there's a C programmer out there who is
sufficiently annoyed by the deficiencies to do the work, you've got two
basic choices:

1) Learn C and do it yourself, or

2) Pay someone to do it for you.

Brutal, but there aren't a lot of alternatives.  Maybe someone would take it
on as a personal interest learning project, but your chances of getting
top-quality from that are pretty slim.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer, Geek In Residence
http://ieee.uow.edu.au/~mjp16