Re: sponsor request for memtester and dumpasn1

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 09:45:26AM +0200, Andrea Mennucc wrote:

> hi
>
> for your info: there is also a  'memtest86'  package
>
> that is instead a kernel-like program

Yes, I know. This one is different, you do not have to boot the box with
it. You can use it in a running system.

This was _very_ helpful for finding out that a SDRAM bar in our server was
faulty, which caused spurious Ooopses. We could not afford a longer
downtime of the server to run memtest86.

We did use memtest86 on _another_ box to find out which one of the
two SDRAMs was faulty. But we had nearly no downtime on the server, besides
the time we needed to put in new RAM.

Greetings,
Oliver
--