Re: Sponsor request

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Patrick Klee wrote:

>     I would like help becoming a debian developer.  Right now, I have PPC
> Sid and I can't get debian to work on my PC, only because the ethernet
> card is too new for potato.  I will figure it out soon, hopefully.
> Anyway, looking for a sponsor.

Are you planning on packaging software?  Have you found a piece of software
you would like to package or adopt?  If there's nothing you want to package
and upload into the Debian archive, there's no need for you to be a
developer, just work on what you find interesting and help out.  If you have
a package, let the people on this list know about it and we'll criticise it.
<g>  Someone will volunteer to become your sponsor out of that; they're the
person who actually uploads the package until you've got your Debian account
(having completed the NM process).  They often also advocate for you, in
that they say 'yes I think this person would be good for Debian' at the
start of the process.

The guidelines for becoming a developer (if you're not already familiar with
them) are in the New Maintainer's Corner at
http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint.  If you follow all those
instructions you'll go through the NM process smoothly.  You'll want to know
Debian Policy, the Packaging Manual, and the Debian Free Software Guidelines
and Social Contract.

In the meantime (until you're a developer yourself) your sponsor will check
the packages you want inserted into the archive and then upload them on your
behalf.  But we need to know what you're packaging.

--
Matthew Palmer, Debian Developer
mpalmer@debian.org     http://www.debian.org