Re: auto-builders, how do they work?

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 09:58, Rick Younie wrote:

> conserver is non-free so the autobuild system doesn't know
> about it.  I'm not sure all autobuild admins bother with
> non-free, for philosophical reasons, so you should look into
> building it yourself on each arch yourself if you can.
> http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi for accessible machines.

>From what I understand, the autobuilder machines don't bother with
non-free for quite practical reasons; mostly the lack of autobuilder
maintainer manpower to check each license.  It may be outright illegal
to recompile some of them at all.  Or some of them might require that a
message be sent to the author whenever a binary is made.  Or any of
millions of other possible onerous restrictions.

Basically, non-free software just sucks.

I'm sure one of the autobuilder maintainers could explain more.