Re: Tight versions depends

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Jeff Bailey wrote:

> I'm having some trouble I can't seem to find the answer to.  Mailutils
> creates both 'mailutils-pop3d', and 'libmailutils0'.  The two need to
> tightly depend on one another, since the ABI hasn't stabilized yet.
>
> In my control file I have:
>
> Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, netbase, libmailutils0 (= ${Source-Version})
>
> However, Lintian throws up on me for:
>
> E: mailutils-imap4d: package-has-a-duplicate-relation libmailutils0, libmailutils0 (= 20020713-1)
>
> The generate mailutils.pop3d-substvars has:
>
> shlibs:Depends=libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), libgdbmg1, libmailutils0, libpam0g (>= 0.72-1)
>
> What's the best fix for this?  It seems I need to get dh_shlibdeps to
> not put in libmailutils0 somehow.

Maybe it's better to make dh_shlibdeps generate the correct dependency in
the first place. Say, do you want ALL packages built against
libmailutils0-dev to have a tight version dependency (not just your pop3d
package)? If so, you can make it so by adding the -V option to your
dh_makeshlibdeps command. If not, perhaps you can get it done by making a
debian/shlibs.local file that contains the dependency you need when you
run dh_shlibdeps.