Re: Depends: on package in contrib

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 11:52:44AM +0200, Stefan Schwandter wrote:
> Hello,

> policy says that a package in main must not declare a releationship on a
> package not in main.

> I would like to split the snd package into a snd (arch-independent
> files), snd-gtk and snd-dmotif, where snd-dmotif is in contrib. Is it
> legal to declare a Depends: on snd-gtk|snd-dmotif in the snd package?
> Since snd-gtk is in main, I don't see why this shouldn't be possible.

> Or should I declare a Depends: on, say, snd-gui and let the
> gui-packages declare a Provides: snd-gui?

> I don't think I can change the Depends: to a Recommends:, because the
> snd package also contains the menu entries - they'd have no effect
> without snd or snd-dmotif installed.

If you build snd-gtk and snd-dmotif from the same source package, then
all of the packages must go into contrib: a source package in main can
also not build-depend on packages outside of main.  The practical reason
for this is that Debian's autobuilders are not guaranteed to have
non-free in their apt sources list, and that main and contrib are
partitioned in the archive.

If you create separate source packages, one for main (gtk) and one for
contrib (dmotif), you can arrange the dependencies however you please,
so long as every package you upload to main can have its dependencies
(and recommendations) satisfied by other packages in main.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer