Re: lintian: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath

On 09 May 2002 21:41:22 +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer <robbe@orcus.priv.at>
wrote:
>Marc Haber <debian-mentors.lists.debian.org@marc-haber.de> writes:
>> W: atm-tools: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath ./usr/sbin/mpcd
>> /home/haber/devel/linux-atm-2.4.0/debian/atm-tools/usr/lib
>
>Note that this rpath, apart from being superflous, is also broken as
>it points to a directory that will be nonexistent except on your
>machine.

*yuck* Didn't even see that.

>> Since linux-atm's configure script does not honor thle --disable-rpath
>> option and compiles with rpath setting anyway, I'd need to hack the
>> autoconf/automake scripts and the Makefile templates to remove rpath
>> to get a lintian clean package. I don't have the necessary knowledge
>> to do so without seriously breaking something. Could anybody more
>> knowledgeable help me with this?
>
>Since you're using libtool,

Am I? Libtool is not installed in the chroot where I am building the
package. This suspiciously looks like somebody invented his own broken
stuff :-(

>> Is it adiviseable to ask upstream to refrain from setting rpath, or am
>> I being unreasonable here?
>
>As outlined above to be fully portable one has to keep rpath as an
>option, but it should be possible to turn it off cleanly. In an ideal
>world, libtool would shield us from this ...

Removing the rpath is not trivial since it seems to be deeply hacked
into the package building scripts :-( I don't have the knowledge of
doing so myself.

A package with binaries setting rpath is currently in unstable. Is it
adviseable to upload just another package with that kind of lintian
warning? Can anybody help me in producing a patch that will remove the
rpath?

Greetings
Marc