Re: Library package naming

Robert Bihlmeyer <robbe@orcus.priv.at> writes:

> Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> writes:
>
> > I'd rather have shared libs with some Debian-specific
> > versioning than unversioned static library because it is easier to track
> > bugs on them, and fix them.
>
> The problem is that if upstream gets "real" later and uses proper
> versioning that may clash with our propped-on versioning scheme. This
> could be prevented by using sonames that are intentionally different
> (e.g. libijt-x.so.0 instead of libijt.so.0)
>
> The other problem with shared libs in the experimental stage is that
> they have to raise their major version number pretty often, generating
> a stream of libijtN packages, each of which has to be processed twice by
> ftpmasters (adding and later removing it).

I could always use release numbers as version numbers:

libijs-0.34.so

However, the value of having a shared library at this point in time is
doubtful.  gimp-print will Build-Depend on it, and possibly hpijs, but
I don't think there will be many other users.  I don't think that the
effort of packaging it as a shared library is worth the benefits right
now.  The library is tiny, so it isn't going to gain much in reduced
memory usage.

I think I will use Sean's suggestion and have a static-only ijs-dev,
and once the specification and ABI are stable I will then make it
shared.

Thanks to all of you for your advice.

Regards,
Roger