Multiple configure-make cycles

Hi,

I am going to modify one of my packages so that two versions of the
software get built. Then I have to run the ./configure, make and make
install cycle twice.
However, the debian/rules file usually makes a difference between the
configure, build and install phases. What is the best way to deal with
it ? Is using 2 install targets depending on different build/configure
targets a good solution ?