Re: blank lines in control file

> Well, this is not a question. I've just spent several hours wondering
> what the matter was with a package which refused to build. rules was
> failing with the following message:
>
> dpkg-gencontrol: error: per-package paragraph 1 in control info file is
> missing Package line
>
> I searched the archive, and found one person which had been having a
> similar problem. The cause in his case was a missing blank line in
> debian/control between the Source: block and the Package: block. The
> cause in my case was that I had put 2 blank lines between the blocks.

Well, this is actually a bug in dpkg-gencontrol. This bug was reported
as #56056 and then closed, but it seems that this bug appeared again
in a newer version of dpkg-dev.

Appendix C in the Debian Policy Manual tells us:

  C.2.2. `debian/control'
  -----------------------

  This file contains version-independent details about the source
  package and about the binary packages it creates.

  It is a series of sets of control fields, each syntactically similar
  to a binary package control file.  The sets are separated by one or
  more blank lines.  The first set is information about the source
  package in general; each subsequent set describes one binary package
  that the source tree builds.

So there are more than one blank lines allowed between paragraphs.

Daniel Lutz

--
Say NO to HTML in mail and news.

GnuPG: 1024D/14E06AAF (public key available on any keyserver)